Health anxious parents might be wondering what their precious baby’s first foods should be.
It’s understandable to be worried that introducing solids may negatively affect your baby’s digestive system. Hence, giving your baby the right food items that are easy to digest is paramount.
While there is a myriad of off-the-shelf baby’s first foods available from stores, home-made food is so much tastier than the mass-produced options.
Also, it’s great to have the knowledge that as a parent, you know exactly what’s going into your baby’s tummy.
There are literally numerous yummy foods you can give your child as a first food and here we’re going to take a look at three readily available ones to get you started.
Filled with easily digestible nutrients, fats, vitamins and minerals, every baby will love these new and exciting tastes! Before feeding your baby, though, be sure to also understand what baby-led weaning is.
According to MamaNatural.com:
Baby-led weaning is an approach to introducing solid food where the baby is allowed and encouraged to self-feed solid finger foods instead of receiving purées via spoon.
But without further ado, here are some of the top choices of baby’s first food amongst parents:
Baby’s First Food #1: Bananas
As the number one choice of baby’s first foods amongst parents, bananas are very gentle on little tummies as they actually aid digestion.
Their sweetness is a taste that hungry little mouths crave so your baby is less likely to reject this strange new experience.
The humble banana is also packed with folate and vitamins A and C as well as containing calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus.
All you need to do to prepare this for baby is to peel a ripe banana and whiz it up in the food processor.
Alternatively, you can mash it up with a fork and add some of your baby’s milk in to help thin it down. The choice is entirely yours!
Baby’s First Food #2: Pears
Another incredibly healthy and nutritious choice, pears are filled with vitamins and minerals. They’re also easy to prepare.
Simply peel and cut a ripe pear into little bite-sized pieces, steam until tender than either mash with a fork or blend in a food processor.
Baby’s First Food #3: Avocado
Many babies just love the taste of avocado and it’s super-healthy for them too! To prepare, just peel a ripe avocado, take out the stone and mash the flesh up with a fork. It’s that easy!
Things To Remember
- Before making any changes to your baby’s diet, always consult with a health professional first.
- Remember the ‘four-day rule’ when trying baby with new food. Feed your baby the same new food for four days to ensure they aren’t allergic to it. If baby displays any signs of upset or ill-health such as a rash, diarrhea or vomiting, stop using the new food straight away and contact your doctor for guidance.
- This will seem obvious but always remember to adequately clean all utensils and surfaces before preparing baby food.
- Only introduce one new food at a time. Your mind will probably be filled with potentially new and yummy foods to try out with your baby, however, the introduction of all new foods must be taken slowly.
- The last thing to remember is that just like us adults, babies can be fussy and might not like or be able to tolerate certain foods and even textures of foods.
So now you and your baby are ready to embark on a journey of food discovery! This will be a learning process for you both, however, making your own first baby foods is totally worth the time and effort.
Bonus! Baby food recipe:
Here are some ideas for a puree with some of the abovementioned food items!
Have a favorite baby’s first food item you’d like to share?
Let us know in the comments below or join the discussion in our Facebook group!